Friday 18 September 2009

Experimental fish dish


WE'RE OUT shopping for fish - a couple of neat fillets of plaice, locally-caught if the fishmonger's to be believed.

It's my experimental cook day, and I've already prepared the spicy tomato relish to go with the fish fillets which are to be turned into goujons, and coated in tempura batter before being deep-fried in my trusty old wok.

We've got a little time to spare, though, so we pop along to our village local where I can enjoy a pint of Thwaite's Lancaster Bomber bitter. This local has a good range of guest beers, and I study their names with bemusement - "Fluffy Duck" and "Riddlers Piddle" giving me cause to smile.

Back home, I whisk up the batter - a mixture of flour, cornflour and ice cold fizzy water - and dip the strips of fish into it. I've tried to skin the fish, but given it up as I was hacking off great lumps of flesh - I love the way some TV chefs pull the skin off just like that...

As I lower the battered fish into the hot oil, I reflect that this is the first meal I've done us for a while, and that I'm getting a little rusty. The wretched cold which has had me in it's coils for nearly two weeks, and which I'm still not completely clear off, has crimped my cooking style.

The fish, I'm pleased to report, turns out lovely and light and cripy, while the tomato dip is sweet and gently spicy. I'm rather chuffed with my effort.









No comments:

Followers


free counters