Wednesday 17 February 2010

Goodies galore


WE DRIVE OUT to Glasson Dock today, out in the flat, windy, marshy area which constitutes part of the Port of Lancaster, and where the River Lune meets the sea.


It's actually not all that grand.

Hard to believe, in fact, that this was once a busier maritime district than Liverpool and second only to London.

Still, we're here for the Smokehouse shop, a wonderful establishment full of exciting goodies that have been preserved in the adjacent smokery.

The pleasure I used to feel in sweetshops in the days when I was nowt but a nipper, is now the feeling I get coming here.

And the range of foods here always makes me want to spend more than I can reasonably justify - from kippers and Lune wild salmon and sea trout to locally sourced hams and cheese and game - the range of foods positively smile up at you from behind the glass of their display cases.

We're here for the game, for a brace of pheasant and some smoked salmon. We're not disappointed with our purchases, either - we return home with the warm feeling of a job well done and a trip worthwhile.

Actually I need salmon for my experimental cook this evening: a farfalle (bow pasta) dish with creamy sauce which turns out very simple to make and luxuriously tasty to eat.

It's My Good Lady's contention that the reason why we don't dine out more is because we have such a wonderfully varied diet at home, and I'm sure she's got a point.

I'm certainly looking forward to our mid-week roast pheasant tomorrow...


No comments:

Followers


free counters