Friday 10 December 2010

More computer frustrations

I’M HAVING problems with one of our computers again.

A little while ago, I installed the full version of the security suite from AVG, a replacement to the free edition I’d been using up until then.

To begin with it worked fine, the anti-virus and firewall software doing their jobs a treat.

Then, suddenly – nothing! The program completely ceased working.

It’s still there, in the installed programs list; but my computer refuses to recognise it or to run it.

My attempts to uninstall it have come to nought – logically enough, the computer cannot remove something that doesn’t exist.

I’ve loaded the remove program from AVG, but that too refuses to recognise the security suite’s presence on my hard drive.

So here I am, stuck with a program that put me in a real double-bind. It’s like having a mouthful of food that you can neither swallow nor spit out.

Of course, I’ve sent AVG an email of complaint but so far the only response is an automated reply telling me to go the faq section of their help site.

There really are times when I’d like to pick this whole machine up and drop it into the deepest quicksand pool in Morecambe Bay!

No comments:

Followers


free counters