Thursday 9 July 2009

A beautiful evening


WE ENJOY one of our favourite wines this evening: a Gavi di Gavi, a beautiful, fully rounded, deeply satisfying white, often called Italy’s Chablis – although I feel that’s doing both wines an injustice; the two are poles apart in every way.

And we enjoy the vino to the sounds of one of our favourite singers: Ella Fitzgerald doing the Harold Arlen Song Book.

Who’s Harold Arlen? You might well ask. Until I got us this two CD set I’m not sure I could have answered this question.

If you haven’t heard of this composer, you’ll surely know some of his songs. “Stormy Weather”, “That Old Black Magic”, “I’ve Got the World on a String”, “Ac-cent-tchu-ate the Positive” among many others – all done with Ella’s inimitable style and integrity.

And as if my cup doesn’t already runneth over, I have My Good Lady’s company for good measure.

Sometimes life just doesn’t get any better.

2 comments:

Malcolm said...

Close to my idea of a perfect evening!

Malcolm said...

PS ... With My Good Lady of course!

Followers


free counters