Tuesday 20 September 2011

Sleepless and on the eve..

MY EARLY night is as sleepless as I expected.

We’re off on our German travels in the morning, so naturally I thought a good night’s sleep would be just the thing…

But I find myself wide-eyed and awake, lying rather restlessly in bed, and trying not to disturb My Good Lady, snoring softly beside me.

Oh, to sleep as a baby! I find as I grow older sleep is something of a luxury – if, on the odd night, I can sleep without disturbance, I count it a blessing, a boon.

The Hindu scriptures describe death as a “deep, dreamless sleep” – and oh dear, how I sometimes long for that! At least for a night or two.

Anyhow, we’re packed again and ready for the off; the taxi is coming for us at 9-ish in the morning, and by this time tomorrow we should be aboard the M.S. Alegria, and floating up the Rhine…

Everybody tells me it should be a fantastic trip – I hope they are right.

Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy – to be honest I’m a little nervous, what, with my lack of sleep and the difficulty I’m still having with my leg.

No doubt it’ll be fine.

See you when we get back!

Until then, auf Wiedersehen.


No comments:

Followers


free counters