Wednesday 14 October 2009

Almost here


WE'VE BEEN HOME for four days now, and I'm still not entirely sure I'm here.


I almost expect to wake up in our hotel in Pompei; home life doesn't seem quite real to me.

Oh, it's great to see our friends here of course, and from their reactions at our appearance they seem quite pleased to see us.

Nevertheless a sense of unreality still pervades my consciousness like a half-seen ghost.

Somehow, the holiday made a deeper impression on me than I expected.

Slowly, slowly, though, things are getting back into their normal perspective; I'm adjusting to driving on the left again, and to the sedate manners of other road users: I'm getting accustomed to the taste of good English bitter, and to the wonderful normality of My Good Lady's cooking.

Tomorrow we're off to do our first big shop for about five weeks, and if anything can bring me to earth, that should.

Yes, I think I'm almost here.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

English bitter (with some gnat's pee exceptions) is something of which we can be truly proud. It's only sad that so much of the world lacks the necessary sophistication of palette to appreciate it. (Maybe it's do with the fact of it not travelling well - unlike some characterless pretenders to the beer throne!)

Followers


free counters