Wednesday 7 October 2009

A sense of triumph, Italian syle


  • I THINK MY idea of Italy, when were planning our holiday, was of driving along country lanes, past fields of olive groves and vine plantations, stopping at tiny villages which served the local produce, and sleeping in old abbeys, now turned into comfortable hotels, or with farmers who rented rooms out in old disused barns.
  • In my dreams, of course, all the Italians spoke a sort of Hollywood pidgen English (after all, I do know that they watch N.C.I.S. and C.S.I.- Miami, not to mention countless American movies, so they all bloomin' well ought).
  • Sadly, that has not proved to be the case.
  • Of course, it is entirely our fault that we chose to stay in a city. And, what's more, in the sprawling, ugly metropolis that is Naples/Pompei. Disability needs dictated.
  • Idyllic though a Compania abbey or farmhouse sounds, we had to settle for a place that was wheelchair accessible.
  • And not many abbeys and farmhouses are!
  • Nevertheless, we came close to my ideal yesterday when we drove up Monte Faito.
  • This modest mountain (1,100 meters/3,600 feet in height)was a drive along countless, blind hairpin bends and along road surfaces that would make most drivers blanche!
  • Not me! Not to one taught to drive amidst the English Lake District or the Cumbrian Pennines.
  • Even the Italian drivers had to give way to me - even they were nervous!
  • As for me, I was in my element; this was fun!
  • And the views from the summit of our adventurous drive were wonderful - right across the Bay of Naples (which between thee and me and this awful computer keyboard, is really something special; a visual delight that so many authors and artists have commented on - when we get home, I'll post one or two of our snaps here just to make you drool.)
  • But what really pleased me was my sense of triumph; finally, I'd got these pesky Italian roadies on my turf, and guess what - they were lacking!

No comments:

Followers


free counters