Friday 20 August 2010

Experimental cook day

IT’S MY experimental cook day, and I’m having a bash at a venison in beer casserole.

I’m a little nervous because I know that game of any sort can end up a little tough and dry if overcooked – the meat tends to a degree of fatless solidity unusual in more common cuts.

I also dig up another grow bag of my new spuds – a better harvest this time, the extra couple weeks having done wonders for their growth.

I begin by browning off the meat in a mix of oil and butter; then I add the finely diced onion, the liqueur – ale and chicken stock – a good dash of seasoning, a little brown sugar, pinch of allspice, a couple of bay leaves and some cloves, and then I let the mixture gently plop away for an hour or so.

The potatoes I just serve boiled – new spuds only really need a knob of butter on them.

And though I do say so myself, the end result is pretty scummy, with the venison being just about spot on.

The only kitchen accident is in opening the wine – the neck of the bottle cracks under the waiter’s friend, and I end up with a bloody finger.

Doesn’t stop us enjoying the contents, though.

No comments:

Followers


free counters