Wednesday 1 June 2011

Love doves

I AM sitting at the kitchen table, looking out onto the garden.

We’ve just finished My Good Lady’s crab gratin – not an unqualified success I’m sorry to say – and we’re now supping the last of the wine.

Meanwhile, outside, a couple of collared doves are billing and cooing at one another, perched as they are on our old, rather ramshackle trellis.

A favourite spot for birds is this trellis – we sometimes have a dozen or more on it, diving at the feeders and back again.

Anyhow, as I watch, our randy pair of doves suddenly decide the big moment has come – and in a wild flutter of feathers one pounces on the other.

It’s all over in matter of seconds, almost in the blink of an eye.

And then, there they sit, clearly satiated and content – I can almost imagine them lighting up their post-exertion cigarettes!

And with a smile on my face I think to myself, “Ah, happy days”!

No comments:

Followers


free counters