Friday 5 June 2009

Food for thought


I PLANT out a couple of rows of carrot seeds in the container we bought the other day. I gently cover them over, give them a good drink of water and say a silent prayer that they will fare better than the last lot of carrots I planted, when not a single one came up!

I actually got the seeds free, from the BBC, as part of their Dig In campaign – it’s an effort to get us all growing our own vegetables.

As well as carrots, they’ve sent me packets of tomatoes – arrived too late to be sown this year – squash, beetroot and lettuce.

I’m hoping to get a little of all of them out in containers.

The trouble is nothing will persuade me to enjoy salads – rabbit food – only to tolerate one now and again.

And if I start growing my own, in great profusion, My Good Lady might begin to feed us on the stuff, if only to prevent waste, which she loathes.

The carrots should be okay, we both love those, but for the rest, I may just give them away. What’s the point of growing food you don’t want to eat?

No comments:

Followers


free counters