Monday 24 August 2009

Farmer Fred's carrots

WE DIG up some of my carrots for the first time – you know, the ones I've grown from seed in a container in the back yard…

They are to accompany a recipe for guinea-fowl My Good Lady is attempting, a French recipe that we picked up on our last holiday and which we have to translate with the aid of a dictionary.

The bird itself is rather nice, although the recipe doesn’t deserve to be preserved for posterity.

As for the carrots – well, they taste suitably earthy and carroty. I hear a lot about how home-grown veg tastes so much better than shop-bought, and yes, it's okay, but I have to say I think shop-bought ones taste almost as good. Perhaps not quite as fresh, but that’s all…

Still, I suppose there is something satisfying about slipping out into the garden, pulling up some your own vegetables and, after a quick scrub, popping them straight into the pan.

And I do take a certain pride in having succeeded, this time, in growing something edible from scratch.

I’m hoping to have another bash next year, maybe with some other varieties.

Oh yes, yours truly is becoming Farmer Fred in person!

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I've not tried carrots but, our homegrown tomatoes invariably taste better than the supermarket acquired variety!

Followers


free counters