Thursday 27 August 2009

The pleasure of a good read


I'VE RECENTLY been dipping in and out of ebooks, some of the favourites of my bookish youth.

I grew up with the likes of Stevenson and Sabatini and Conan-Doyle. I sailed the seas in the company of Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver, I fought in the French Revolution with
Scaramouche, I prowled the squalid streets of Victorian London in the company of Sherlock Holmes and rode into thrilling adventures with the dashing Brigadier GĂ©rard.

And one of the joys of the internet is that I am able to do so again, to my heart's content, with websites like the Gutenberg Project and the
Internet Archive Search.

And how do these much-loved classics stack up, today, in our technologically less innocent days? Surprisingly well, all told, is my belief. Oh, of course, I can't approach them with the same thrill of discovery that I once experienced - going to the public library was always something of an adventure for me - goodness knows what sort of treasures I might unearth there!

The one thing that has never left me is the pleasure of reading. And flicking back over these old tomes I'm reminded why I so easily got hooked.

It's a shame that what Stevenson called "the wiser youngsters of today" can't put aside the computer game and the television set and discover for themselves the satisfaction to be got from a thumping good read.


No comments:

Followers


free counters