Monday 25 October 2010

The domestic jinx strikes again!

WE’RE GOING through one of our domestic appliances hiccup sessions, when not one, not two, not even three things go wrong, but four!

First it’s our Sony micro hi-fi system which packs up – still under warranty I’m glad to say, but I just hope Curry’s don’t give me any grief over it – their customer service, I know from experience, has much need of improvement.

Next, it’s our flame effect gas fire that’s packed up – just about a month after its annual service. The fire’s got one of these “lifetime” guarantees, but with enough small print and exclusions attached to it that I wonder if it’s actually worth anything. We shall see.

Not to be outdone, our new central heating boiler is behaving a little oddly, too. I’ve set the timer to some hours convenient for us, only to find it’s coming on outside those hours! It’s as if the thing has got a mind and will of its own. I won’t call anybody in yet, for this – I’ll play around with the timer for a bit and see if it’s some error in programming on my part, but I’m beginning to feel a little frayed.

Last, but not necessarily the least, a light bulb blows in one of our table lamps – the globe part of it literally pops out of it’s mount, and the screw fitting gets wedged in so tightly it takes me nearly an our to prise it out…

I’m convinced there’s a domestic jinx haunting us…

No comments:

Followers


free counters