Sunday 17 October 2010

Of wasp stings and TV shows


THE GERIATRIC’S Corner is fuller than it has been of late – one or two of the Pub’s Friday crowd have reappeared.

Mr P, the music teacher, comes over to tell us he had to go to A & E at the local hospital this morning. “A wasp flew into my mouth and stung me on the inner lip!”

The result was a dramatic allergic reaction – first the side of his face swelled up, then his neck and part of his shoulder!

A colleague of his at school took a photo of him: PD remarks, “My God! You look just like the Botox man!”

“It felt like it,” says Mr P. “They rushed me straight through A & E and gave me an injection to counter the effects of the wasp sting. It was a close call, though. I could have died!”

On a more positive note, though, Mr P is off to buy a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream for Sunday evening, and I can guess the reason – the new season of Desperate Housewives is due to begin on C4 on Sunday.

This is a little ritual with Mr P and his wife – they sup Baileys while watching their favourite TV show.

Mr P cannot praise the programme highly enough: “I have all the first six seasons on DVD – I’ve only seen half of them yet. But it’s really wonderful,” he insists, “you ought to try it!”

Maybe we will, although without the Baileys.

Some of the others pooh-pooh any American import, though – they just won’t give anything from across the Atlantic a chance. “It’s all rubbish!” says Aircraft Steve dismissively. “All those shows are full of Yanks in their glossy lifestyles.”

I have to take issue with him there; “Did you never watch M*A*S*H?” I ask.

Steve admits he did, and we spend a happy few moments reminiscing over some of the wonderful characters of this truly ground-breaking TV series, by turns comic and dark in its portrayal of the realities of serving in a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean war. Hawkeye, BJ, Radar, Colonel Potter, Hot Lips, Clinger… we still remember these people with genuine affection.

“Yeah, you’re right,” admits Steve finally, “maybe it isn’t all rubbish."

No comments:

Followers


free counters