Sunday 3 October 2010

Harvest time

WITH THE vegetable harvest safely gathered in – indeed, most of it now safely consumed – I take the opportunity of a dry day to go out and uproot our tomato plants.

I’ve still got some purple sprouting broccoli in my patio containers – but they shall be out for the winter, ready for harvesting next spring.

I feared I might end up with a glut of tomatoes, but except for a few late-ripening ones, most of them have gone, with my Black Russians definitely being top of the tomato pops.

I’ve still got a few green Moneymakers, wrapped up in bags with rotting bananas – the bananas, as I understand, give off a gas which helps the toms to ripen.

Anyhow, it’s my experimental cook session later, and I do us one of my stir-fries, a beef Penang, using up some spare rump steak and some left-over coconut milk, all cooked quickly with Thai red curry paste, fish sauce and brown sugar.

Most enjoyable.

This evening, My Good Lady suggests opening a bottle of Riesling, a small consolation for winning nothing on the National Lottery again!

Ah, well…

No comments:

Followers


free counters