Sunday 23 January 2011

Big bird day

I’M FEELING uncomfortably stuffed this evening, and it’s entirely my own fault.

Actually, it’s one of the major cooking days chez nous today; we are doing our annual turkey.

It’s always a full-day turn, roasting this bird. In the morning My Good Lady is busy preparing the stuffing and the flavoured butter, and the whole of the afternoon is taken up with the roasting and basting,  Then, after the meal, we are occupied with slicing the meat off the carcass, bagging it up and taking it out to the freezer, not to mention all the washing up that needs doing...

The highlight of the day, though, is the long-waited-for turkey feast, our belated Christmas day treat.

This year, for once, we are trying one of these “bronze” turkeys, free-range, of course, and organic. It cost a bit more, but my goodness me, it’s certainly tasty – especially the dark meat.

And as usual we end up having far too much of it – a leg each and a fair portion of one breast. And the trimmings of course, the Brussels sprouts and roast spuds, plus a good slice of the minced pork stuffing. All very yummy! And unfortunately all too moreish!

I confess it, we overdo it a bit – so much so, I have to suffer for my gluttony, but when we have our annual big bird day a little self-indulgence is almost obligatory!

I consol myself with the thought that we shall be back to having our more abstemious portions of fish fingers tomorrow.

No comments:

Followers


free counters