Tuesday 18 November 2008

Cut out


WE are pulling up at a road junction when the car splutters, judders and the engine cuts out. There’s quite a bit of traffic behind us, too. I hastily put on the emergency flashers and I try to wave other vehicles on; they pull around me, but with unjustifiable ill grace. After all, it’s not my fault the car’s suddenly conked out. I turn off the engine – it’s already stopped, anyhow. My Good Lady is rummaging in her bag in search of the mobile phone, thinking of ringing the breakdown service. I turn the ignition key, just in case; the car splutters again, then to my astonishment, it fires. It gives another couple of bone-shaking judders, then settles down to its customary purring. I engage the drive and we pull smoothly away, sweet as you like. I hastily remember to switch off the flashers.

We had this sort of trouble with the car a few years ago – I forget what the fault was, something electrical, I think. Anyhow, on top of all our other bills coming up just now, here’s yet another, with more work for Neil, the mechanic.

No comments:

Followers


free counters